Listed below are a few frequently asked questions you should ask when hiring an architect. We hope they will be of help when searching for an architect:
1. What is the difference between a National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) credential and American Institute of Architects (AIA) credential?
2. What are the architect's professional credentials? Are they licensed in your state?
3. How long has the architect been providing services?
4. What services does the architect provide during construction? How does the architect communicate information to the client when construction begins?
5. Does the architect have a list of past clients that the firm has worked with?
6. What are the steps the architect takes during the design process, and how long does this step normally take?
7. What is the client, architect, and general contractor each responsible for when signing a contract?
8. How long does the architect expect your project to take from design to completion? How disruptive will construction be?
9. What does the architect's fee include?
10. Is the same architect designing the project going to be the person I will be dealing with directly?
11. What is the architect's design philosophy?
12. What will the architect show at each design step to explain the project? Will you see models, drawings, or sketches?